21 September 2014

Iceland - the planning


Iceland is certainly in fashion at the moment and rightly so. It is a landscape photographer's heaven with it's stunning natural wonders that include glaciers, waterfalls and the holy grail: Aurora Borealis!

Couple this with the availability of cheap flights, the short flight time from the UK and the fact it is much more affordable after it was badly hit in the global economic downturn, mean it is no wonder that visitors, and in particular photographers, are coming in their numbers.

It has been on my hit list for a number of years and having secured babysitters for a week I was finally able to convince the wife that a road trip around southern Iceland in the cold would be much more fun than an all inclusive trip to St Lucia! And I'm sure it was!!

I don't normally plan trips in much detail but as there is a lot to see and only a week to see it I decided to do things a bit differently. I contacted a couple of Flickr contacts who I know had been and did a few searches to come back with a list of places I wanted to see. I then plotted them onto a Google map to determine what was possible to achieve in our timeframe while still enjoying ourselves (key was to keep my wife, a non photographer, happy).

As we were going over Easter we also knew things would be busy so I wanted accommodation to fit with my road trip itinerary. The outcome was the Google map below. (The link should take you to the full version). This outlines our itinerary, where we wanted to go, where we stayed (including costs) and some additional things to see along the way.

Pictures will follow in later posts.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zyXLlGSncrTY.kZM1csxtRA4g